skip to Main Content

Disability Tax Credits

The disability tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of tax they have to pay.  The amount includes a supplement for persons under the age of 18 years.

If you get to the point where you have a physical or mental impairment that impacts the basic activities of your daily living that is anticipated to last more than twelve consecutive months – you may qualify for the Disability Tax Credit.

Form T2201 needs to be completed by a medical practitioner who would certify that you or your dependent have a severe and prolonged impairment.

A T2201 form must be certified by medical professional and provided to CRA as part of an application. You may be able to claim back as far as ten previous years if that is when the disability occurred.  As such, the years included on the form are important.

The credit amounts increase each year.  The following table illustrates the past ten years of credits.

disability amount
Maximum supplement
for persons under 18

If you qualify for the disability tax credit, you may wish to consider other benefits such as the registered disability savings plan, the working income tax benefit and the child disability benefit.

This information is for discussion purposes only and should not be considered professional advice. There is no guarantee or warrant of information on this site and it should be noted that rules and laws change regularly. You should consult a professional before considering implementing or taking any action based on information on this site. Call our team for a consultation before taking any action.

Nizam Shajani

Nizam Shajani

I enjoy formulating plans that help my clients meet their objectives. It's this sense of pride in service that facilitates client success which forms the culture of Shajani LLP.

Shajani Professional Accountants has offices in Calgary, Edmonton and Red Deer, Alberta. We’re here to support you in all of your personal and business tax and other accounting needs.