By Nizam Shajani, CPA, CA, MBA
Those who qualify will receive a one-time payment of $1,146.
The Alberta Emergency Isolation Support pays working adults who must self-isolate and have no other source of pay or compensation while self-isolate.
If you do not qualify for EI, this is a good support.
Note federal supports will be made available starting around April 6th – so this Alberta support is only available for prior to the federal support being made available.
Who Does Not Qualify?
You will not qualify if you;
- were not working immediately before you were advised to self-isolate; or
- are not experiencing a significant loss of income as a result of self-isolation or caring for a dependent due to COVID-19; or
- can work from home; or
- are currently collecting other forms of income support or employer benefits while self-isolating; or
- are staying home to care for a dependent who is home for a reason other than self-isolation as advised by the Government of Alberta; or
- reside outside of Alberta.
You must self-isolate for 14 days if you:
- Recently returned from travel outside of Canada
- Are a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19
- Have been asked by a health care professional for another reason
- If you become sick, you must self-isolate for 10 daysor until you are feeling well, whichever takes longer.
Symptoms include dry cough, fever, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, runny nose, nasal congestion or a sore throat.
How To Apply?
You will need to register through (My Alberta) https://account.alberta.ca/
Once registered, you can apply at https://www.alberta.ca/emergency-isolation-support.aspx
This information is for discussion purposes only and should not be considered professional advice. There is no guarantee or warrant of information on this site and it should be noted that rules and laws change regularly. You should consult a professional before considering implementing or taking any action based on information on this site. Call our team for a consultation before taking any action. © 2020 Shajani LLP